Quick-Start Guide to XFree86 Setup
Joe Moss27 February 1998
Current releases of XFree86 include several tools that can help
to automate the process of server configuration. Much of the existing
documentation, however, describes how to do the job manually, including
many technical details.
For those users with esoteric hardware or with the desire to
get their hands dirty under the hood, this is great, but many users are
using common hardware and just want to get X up and running quickly.
This guide is for them.
- 3.1. Initial questions
- 3.2. Configuration areas
- 3.3. Back to text mode
- 3.4. The second server
- 3.5. Ending text
- 4.1. The intro screen
- 4.2. Getting your
- 4.3. Mouse setup
- 4.4. Keyboard setup
- 4.5. Monitor setup
- 4.6. Selecting your card
- 4.7. Server selection
- 4.8. Screen/Video configuration
- 4.9. Mode Selection
- 4.10. Creating the
- 4.11. Some final notes
- 7.1. The mouse doesn't move correctly, it stays in one area of the screen
- 7.2. The server doesn't start, it says the mouse is busy.
- 7.3. The middle button doesn't work.
- 7.4. The display is shifted to the left/right/top/bottom
- 7.5. I don't appear to have xf86config or xvidtune on my system