[forum] GPL-incompatible license

Richard Stallman rms@gnu.org
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 04:45:45 -0500

    Am I correct in my understanding that the problem here is the possibility
    that under current, and also previous, XFree86 licensing policy, X
    libraries are permitted to contain code under a GPL-incompatible licence,

I may be wrong, since I don't entirely know the XFree86 policies, but
this not how I thought it was.

I thought that the previous XFree86 licensing policy was to use a
specific license, which happens to be compatible with the GPL.  That
license did not pose a problem.  The problem comes from adoption of a
new license which, as far as I know, was not used in XFree86 before.

    and that by addressing the GPL-compatibility of the X library code we
    would also be addressing your concerns?

The GPL-compatibility of the license is the whole of my concern.  This
is clearly essential for Xlib, since the use of Xlib is to combine it
it with applications, but I don't think the significance is limited
to Xlib.