[forum] GPL-incompatible license

David Dawes forum@xfree86.org
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 20:11:56 -0500

On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 04:01:10AM -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:
>As the Debian developers have noticed, the new Xfree86 license is
>incompatible with the GPL.  It has to do with the specific
>requirements about including notices in manuals and documentation.
>The incompatibility means that linking GPL-covered applications with
>an Xlib that has this requirement would violate the GPL.

I am glad that we have the opportunity to discuss the issues here.

Am I correct in my understanding that the problem here is the possibility
that under current, and also previous, XFree86 licensing policy, X
libraries are permitted to contain code under a GPL-incompatible licence,
and that by addressing the GPL-compatibility of the X library code we
would also be addressing your concerns?

David
--
David Dawes
developer/release engineer                      The XFree86 Project