[forum] A Call For Open Governance Of X Development

Steve Swales forum@XFree86.Org
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 12:15:44 -0800

The weekly X.Org phone conference has just concluded, and I'm happy to
be empowered by the membership to speak to this forum on their behalf.

These are interesting times for X.  This admittedly crusty technology is
seeing a remarkable resurgence in community love/hate interest, which
personally I find really exiting.  The last few months have brought some
particular planets into alignment, some of which this alias has been
discussing quite heatedly over the past few days, and some of which have
been, for better or worse, happening on the sidelines.  Some of these
things are really big picture forces, such as the current world economic
crisis, others are smaller in scope, but just as interesting, such as
the recent announcement by Apple that they are providing an X11
implementation for there desktop systems.  Some are complex and
long-festering conditions, such as the lack of broad and active
community involvement in the stewardship of the X standard.

As a result of these forces, over the past two or three months, X.Org,
along with XFree86.org, has been having specific internal discussions
about a restructuring or re-casting of both organizations, focusing them
on open and healthy stewardship of both the public standard and the
public implementation.  We believe that these two entities can and
should be able to reform themselves into appropriate and cooperative
bodies which can carry out that stewardship under the free and active
direction of the open community.

Although we have a number of ideas, many of which I've see echoed in the
e-mail messages on this forum over the last several days, the most
important conclusion we've come to is that the best approach we can take
is to open this discussion up to the community, and work together to
define the best form that these two organizations should take, so that
they truly meet the needs of the X community, as stewards of the technology.

As the current Chairperson of X.Org, you have my personal invitation to
participate, and my personal promise that X.Org is committed to
reforming itself into whatever the community feels it should be, as the
stewardship body for the X standard.  Having said that, I feel that this
will not be an easy thing to do, but I am encouraged by the recent track
record of other organizations which have successfully pursued the goals
of free and open stewardship, while at the same time offering sufficient
value for participation by a broad set of corporate (i.e. paying) sponsors.

I will leave it at that for now, and look forward to participating in
the discussions to follow.

Thanks,

-steve

--
Steve Swales
Senior Manager, Platform Globalization Engineering